Monday, March 7, 2011

Medical dealings

This past week has been full of trips to doctors and the hospital.
First, Alena got hives from something at therapy. I guess she was rubbing her eye because it was itchy, and she managed to burst the blood vessel in her eye. We spent about two hours at the ER to make sure the hives would stop spreading, and then went home.
So, despite the huge black eye, she was okay.
She developed a bit of a fever that night and these massively bright red cheeks. I took her to our family doctor the next morning, and she was diagnosed with Fifth's Disease. That was fun.
Then on Friday morning, she crawled into bed with me after Anthony's alarm clock went off. Just as she was laying down, I rolled over, and I ended up poking her in the eye. She screamed for a good five minutes, but then fell back asleep, so I figured she was okay. The guilt I felt was a whole different blog post!
Well, she ended up at the hospital twice that day, once by ambulance, because every time I tried to move her, she would scream.
The final diagnosis was: "She got poked in the eye."
I keep forgetting how to deal with doctors when you have a child with autism. You can't just sit back and watch. You become an active participant, and you have to stand up for your kid. The doctor can't ask questions, so you kind of become the expert on the needs and noises of your kids.
When the doctors tell you something you know not to be true, you have to speak up, and sometimes, you have to speak up very loudly to be heard.
Sometimes I have a hard time with this when it comes to myself and my own health issues, but when it comes to my daughter? Just try to shut me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment